History of CSD
Dr. M. Jaffar-ur-Rehman (Late)
Founder of CSD Research Group
Center for Software Dependability (CSD) was founded in June,2003 under the supervision of Dr. M. Jaffar-ur-Rehman (late). The vision of Dr. Jaffar was clear: Establishment of research environment in Pakistan, and he started from developing this research center at Mohammad Ali Jinnah University, Islamabad, Pakistan. Dr. Jaffar was martyred along with his family in the October 8, 2005 tragic earthquake that hit northern areas of Pakistan. His loss is irreplaceable, and no matter how hard we try, we can never have another Dr. Jaffar, ever.
Dr. Jaffar outshined all his colleagues throughout his life. A brief list of his achievements and distinctions is given below as a small tribute to Dr. Jaffar-ur-Rehman, a great scholar and a true researcher.
A Brief Life History of Dr. Jaffar-ur-Rehman:
- Distinction in matriculation for Multan education board.
- Joined Junior Cadet Batallion (JCB) and remain distinguished.
- Was the house prefect (best appointment for any cadet) of Abdali House in JCB in his last term.
- Passed JCB with distinction.
- Joined Military Academy and passed PMA by grabbing one of the top three positions.
- Was appointed as Company Senior Under Officer (CSUO) of Aurangzeb Company during his last term at PMA.
- Was awarded the TACTICTS medal for standing first in military subjects.
- Joined Quaid-e-Azam University Computer Science Department for a future in CS.
- Topped the entry test taken by over a 1000 people.
- Topped since entry test till his graduation, and no one can ever beat him even by a single mark.
- Topped Quaid-e-Azam University by setting an all-time Computer Science Dept. record of a CGPA of 4.9 on a scale of 5.0.
- Awarded Quaid-e-Azam Scholarship for higher studies abroad.
- Offered Lectureship at Quaid-e-Azam University.
- Went to USA for his MS and PhD.
- Joined University of Pennsylvania, Moors School, Philadelphia, USA.
- Completed MS in just one year by securing a CGPA of 3.9 on a scale of 4.0.
- Taught in Australia for around 3 years during his PhD.
- Came back to Pakistan after completing his PhD and taught at Quaid-e-Azam University, Islamabad, Bahauddin Zikaria University, Multan, Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS), and was finally working as Dean Faculty of Engineering and Sciences, Mohammad Ali Jinnah University, Pakistan.